Sunday, December 1, 2013

Loving God - Words By Sainte Thérèse di Lisieux

From Manuscript C, in Thérèse own words, translated by John Clarke, O.C.D.:

You know, O my God, I have never desired anything but to love You, and I am ambitious for no other glory.  Your love has gone before me, and it has grown with me, and now it is an abyss whose depths I cannot fathom.  Love attracts love, and, my Jesus, my love leaps toward Yours; it would like to fill the abyss which attracts it, but alas! it is not even like a drop of dew lost in the ocean! For me to love You as You love me, I would have to borrow Your own Love, and then only would I be at rest. (Emphasis original.) [1], [2]


[1] Thérèse, de Lisieux, Saint.  Story of a Soul The Autobiography of Saint Thérèse of Lisieux . 3rd Edition. Translated by John Clarke, O.C.D.  Washington D.C.:  Washington Province of Discalced Carmelites, Inc., 1996, p.256.
[2] The words that struck me are these:  "For me to love You as You love me, I would have to borrow Your own Love, and then only would I be at rest" -- original, profound and saintly.  Only with the grace of God can one's love for God be so sweetly and humbly expressed.  I would like to memorize this in the original French and use as a prayer.  See http://www.archives-carmel-lisieux.fr/english/carmel/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=356:ms-c-35r&catid=11&Itemid=107  One day I hope to find someone to help me read her writing and pronounce the words.  I think the sentence begins after the second exclamation mark (!) on the image and before "O mon Jésus ....

No comments:

Post a Comment