Saturday, September 28, 2013

A Teenage Victim

In the news this morning, a 58-year old woman driving a Mercedes-Benz SUV up to speeds of 128.75 kilometers per hour or 80 miles per hour on a city street slammed into a minivan stopped at a red traffic light, killing a 16-year old boy and critically injuring the mother and her daughter.  The driver of the SUV survived the crash with minor injuries.  The injured mother and daughter and the deceased teenage son were victims of a woman possessed by evil.

Do I even care?  I do care [1].  Not only do I care [1] about my family and friends, those who are part of my life temporarily, those who are not a part of my life but whom I see frequently and those with whom I share the same city but never met, I also care [1] about those with whom I share this world but a world apart, those who are in war zones, refugee camps, government offices, grand palaces, at home, at work or at play.  I care [1] because we are all part the whole of creation without regard to time and space and part of this living planet, breathing in the same air, drinking the same water and feeding off the same earth.  Even though we are not in proximity with each other, we are united by time -- the present -- and when one of us leaves us and this place that we once shared, we ought to feel that, just as much as we ought to feel for the ones who are still living and possessed by evil.  Those who have departed need our prayers so that they maybe forgiven and have salvation in heaven since they are not able to pray for forgiveness themselves anymore.  Those who are possessed by evil also need our prayers since they are so consumed by evil forces that they cannot see God anymore.  Our prayers would help extricate them from the suffocating grip of evil so that they would have another chance in choosing God over Satan.

If all of us can function as a whole, within the whole of creation, united to God, then truly we would be doing God's will on earth and it is in heaven.


[1] I must qualify the word "care" because there are varying degrees of care.  Sometimes I wonder if I even care even though I would like to think that I do.  Sometimes I am impatient or upset and care only about myself and that is not good.  Then there are times that I care and pray for everyone.  Those are the times I feel the happiest and like myself the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment