Monday, April 15, 2013

First Of Many Prayers Of Francis Of Assisi

The following is quoted verbatim, italics original [1]:

At Compline
Antiphon:  Holy Virgin Mary
Psalm [ I ]

God, I have told you of my life;*
you have placed all my tears in your sight.
All my enemies were plotting evil against me;*
they took counsel together.
They repaid me evil for good*
and hatred for my love.
They slandered me in return for my love,*
but I continued to pray.
My holy Father, King of heaven and earth, do not leave me*
for trouble is near and there is no one to help.
Let my enemies be turned back+
on whatever day I shall call upon you;*
for now I know that you are my God,
My friends and my neighbors have drawn near
and have stood against me;*
those who were close to me have stayed far away.
You have driven my acquaintances far from me;*
they have made me an abomination to them.+ [2]
I have been handed over and did not escape.
Holy Father, do not remove your help from me;*
my God, look to my aid.
Come to my help,*
Lord, God of my salvation.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen




[1]  Armstrong, Regis J. O.F.M. Cap. et.al. Francis of Assisi: Early Documents, Volume I, The Saint. Page 140. New York: New York City Press, 2000.
[2] This particular portion of the prayer is of interest: "My friends and my neighbors have drawn near and have stood against me;* those who were close to me have stayed far away.  You have driven my acquaintances far from me;* they have made me an abomination to them.+"  Why would Francis of Assisi include these words in his prayer?  Was it the truth that he was speaking or the manner that he was acting so repugnant to everyone that even his friends and neighbors would deny and betray him, and those closest to him would rather be far away and in denial rather than to hear or look at it respectively?  I think Holy Francis was alone and stressed out, perhaps his spirit might even have been a bit low, since in the prayer before and after making the observation, he said these words: "My holy Father, King of heaven and earth, do no leave me * for trouble is near and there is no one to help " (before the observation) and "Holy Father, do not remove your help from me" and "My God, look to my aid[,] [c]ome to my help, Lord, God of my salvation (after the observation)."  My conclusion is that a true man of cloth who is genuinely committed to become a disciple of Christ has to endure a solitary life living the reality of holy poverty and filling his heart and soul with his love for the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment