Sunday, October 25, 2020

Feast Of The Kingship Of Our Lord Jesus Christ - Last Sunday Of October (25 October 2020)

An error was made in the 2 October 2020 post now entitled Notable Feast Days In October 2020.  It has been corrected to show that the Feast of the Kingship of Our Lord Jesus Christ for 2020 is 25 October 2020, not  31 October.

"In 1970 its Roman Rite observance was moved to the final Sunday of Ordinary Time. Therefore, the earliest date on which it can occur is 20 November and the latest is 26 November." [1]  "Roman Catholics adhering to the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite use the General Roman Calendar of 1960, and as such continue to observe the [the Feast of the Kingship of Our Lord Jesus Christ] on its original date of the final Sunday of October." [2]

Stated another way, "The Feast of Christ the King is the Last Sunday in October on the Traditional Calendar.  In the Novus Ordo  it falls on the Sunday before the First Sunday of Advent." [3]

The Gospel reading for the Feast of the Kingship of Our Lord Jesus Christ is Jn. 18:33-37 [4]:

AT THAT time: Pilate said to Jesus: Art thou the King of the Jews? Jesus answered: Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or have others told it thee of Me? Pilate answered: Am I a Jew? Thy Own nation, and the chief priests, have delivered Thee up to me: what hast Thou done? Jesus answered: My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would certainly strive that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now My kingdom is not from hence. Pilate therefore said to Him: Art thou a king then? Jesus answered: Thou sayest that I am a King. For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth, Everyone that is of the truth, heareth My voice. 

[2] Ibid.

No comments:

Post a Comment