Saturday, August 17, 2019

Anima Christi - Soul of Christ

Anima Christi  is a "prayer [that] touches [one] on a profound level. The words are most sacred and, with the Spirit’s help, they can lead [one] into an immediate union with Christ." [1]

In English, posted by Joe Castillo on You Tube [2]:

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O Good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds hide me.
Suffer me not to be separated from thee.
From the malignant enemy defend me.
In the hour of my death call me.
And bid me come unto Thee,
That with all Thy saints,
I may praise thee
Forever and ever.
Amen.

 In Latin, posted by balgentblp on You Tube [3]:

Anima Christi, sanctifica me.
Corpus Christi, salva me.
Sanguis Christi, inebria me.
Aqua lateris Christi, lava me.
Passio Christi, conforta me.
O bone Jesu, exaudi me.
Intra tua vulnera absconde me.
Ne permittas me separari a te.
Ab hoste maligno defende me.
In hora mortis meae voca me voca me.
Et iube me venire ad te,
Ut cum Sanctis tuis laudem te.
In saecula saeculorum.
Amen

The Latin version of this prayer can be heard on You Tube  at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGDR9y912s.

According to preces-latinae.org, "[t]he author of this traditional prayer from the Roman Missal is unknown." [4]
[3] Ibid.

No comments:

Post a Comment