Saturday, April 28, 2012

Thoughts On God, Saturday Vigil, April 28, 2012

A few days ago I went into the kitchen for water but instead of pouring myself some I picked up an orange on the counter.  I looked at it, it was like most other oranges that have been available at the markets lately, thin-skinned, brightly colored, fragrant, sweet and juicy (no, it was not organic).  I cut it up and ate every single slice and found it to be exceptional, probably because I do not usually eat an orange when I am thirsty and I was thirsty and the fruit was tender and sweet and juicy.

While I was still eating the orange, my desire to have my thirst quenched gave way to thoughts of gratitude, thinking how lucky I was to be able to have this orange, eat it, taste the deliciousness of its juicy bits and to have it satisfy my thirst.  I was momentarily in a state of bliss.

The totality of this experience ought not to be taken for granted for every step of the way was a gift from God.  First was my existence, then my move to the Bay Area with seasonal fruits grown locally in Mexico and unseasonal fruits grown in Chile.  I was also given good health so that I was able to move about, to go from place to place, to come across this orange, to be able to pick it up, to be able to pay for it, to be able to eat it, taste it and enjoy it.  I also thought about the orange, its shape, its color, how it can grow and hang from a green and leafy tree and the miracle of its existence for human consumption.

In our busy lives in this multi-faceted world, we not “stop to smell the roses,” we simply assume that everything we can do and all that we have are what we are entitled to without giving any of it any second thought or being thankful in the least.  I do not think that is right.

Every moment is a moment that is forever gone from our lives and every moment that we are whole is a moment that we are being cared for and loved by a force greater than our own.  Each of these moments is a miracle because without these continuous moment-to-moment miracles, life can be very, very difficult.

I have a compelling urge to digress here.  I write this passage without a scintilla or conceit or condescension and if I have not been successful in doing so, please accept my sincere and humble apology.  The whole time I am writing I am mindful of those less fortunate than me.  I am one person and as much as I would like I cannot level the quantitative scale of equality for those whose world I share.  Perhaps on the qualitative scale of equality, my life is not as sweet as the orange that I ate compared to another person who did not have the occasion to pick up that orange.

I suppose each of us can compare ourselves subjectively to those who appear to be more fortunate or less fortunate than us and become bitter or vain, but I do not think that is what God intends for us to do.  I think God intends us each to see the miracle in every moment and be thankful for that one wonderful moment even in the midst of tribulation.

I always believe that none of us is given a cross that is heavier than what we are able to carry for if the burden turns into more than we can bear, we would perish immediately.

In the end, we all are on a journey, a journey to find our better selves and to perfect our spirit, whether we are in the White House, Bill Gate’s house or the poor house.  One thing is certain, we all eventually end up in the dirt.

I love you all.  God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment