Wednesday, April 22, 2020

A Song From The Past -1973- "I Don't Know How To Love Him"

This song is from Jesus Christ Superstar, the 1973 movie.  There are many uploads of this song on YouTube, here is one of them:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wE1sKKZqos

Jesus Christ Superstar  started out as "a 1970 rock opera with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice."  [1]   

Here are the lyrics [2]:

I don't know how to love him
What to do, how to move him
I've been changed, yes really changed
In these past few days, when I've seen myself
I seem like someone else

I don't know how to take this
I don't see why he moves me
He's a man. He's just a man
And I've had so many men before
In very many ways
He's just one more

Should I bring him down?
Should I scream and shout?
Should I speak of love
Let my feelings out?
I never thought I'd come to this
What's it all about?

Don't you think it's rather funny
I should be in this position
I'm the one who's always been
So calm, so cool, no lover's fool
Running every show
He scares me so

I never thought I'd come to this
What's it all about?
Yet, if he said he loved me
I'd be lost. I'd be frightened
I couldn't cope, just couldn't cope

I'd turn my head, I'd back away
I wouldn't want to know
He scares me so
I want him so

I love him so

In the comment section, Sara Wilkinson said this:

Beautiful song from the perspective of a woman who has only ever known how to show  'Love'  to a man through the act of sex. 
She is now confronted with a man (Jesus) who loves her unconditionally.  He does not expect anything from her......his love is absolutely pure. 
Mary Magdalene is at a loss to understand this kind of love.....it overwhelms her and amazes her.....it also terrifies her because she realizes that she loves him too.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Christ_Superstar
[2] https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/yvonne-elliman/i-dont-know-how-to-love-him

No comments:

Post a Comment