Sunday, March 29, 2015

Home In A Week

As Jesus enters Jerusalem on a colt [1], what could be going through His mind?  One can only speculate from the perspective of a sinner which is what I am and what I am about to do.

Jesus already knows what will happen to Him.  If I were Him (this is a bold step to take, even in my imagination, and therefore these thoughts, as well as much of what comes out of my mind, can properly be considered as nonsense), I would be thinking about going home in seven days, the misery of betrayal, arrest, trials (all seven [2]), humiliation, scourging, piercing thorns, carrying the cross, crucifixion and of unspeakable pains, mental, emotional and physical. Because I am not Him, I would be indignant and stressed out, and I could not wait to get this ordeal overwith quickly when time suddenly seems to slow, when nothing is fun anymore, and when the disciples have not only kept their distance but also have become distant.

Then I would think of the nasty religious people who think that they are so educated and proper but who are hypocrites clothed in esteemed positions who want me dead.  I would also think of all the contemptible people, dead, alive and yet to be born, whose souls I would have to suffer and die to save, who do not deserve to be saved because of their incurable sinful nature and their countless detestable sins.

I would then think back to how much time I would have so that I no longer would have to associate and deal with all these insufferable sinners.  I would for a moment be happy, thinking of saying to the entire human race: "Good-bye" and "Good riddance!"  I would pray to God to numb my senses so that I would not have to face all the idiots and cope with all that pain but God would not have a son like me, so uncompassionate, unforgiving and unloving, and that is why God gave man the  one and only Son, Jesus, Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary to bear the burden of man's sins to save man from eternal damnation.

During this Holy Week, one ought to reflect how great is the Lord and how undeserving is man of God's compassion, forgiveness and unconditional love, and how grateful one ought to be to have received these gifts delivered by the humble and suffering Christ in the flesh and with His blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment