Saturday, July 17, 2021

Were These Words Of Jesus Taken Into Account Before Announcing Restrictions On The Latin Rite Mass?

Luke 9:49-50, quoted from Biblegateway, NIV version [1]:

49 “Master,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he is not one of us.”

50 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said, “for whoever is not against you is for you.”

See also Mark 9:38-40, quoted from Biblegateway, NIV version [2]:

38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.[”]
 
The reference made to "cup of water" above could perhaps be thought of as the cup of the new covenant (see 1 Corinthians 11:23-25, quoted from Biblegateway, NIV version [3]):

23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”
 
See also Luke 22:19-20, quoted from Biblegateway, NIV version [4]:

19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

And Matthew 26:26-28, quoted from Biblegateway, NIV version [5]:

26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”

27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

And Mark 14:22-24 too, quoted from Biblegateway, NIV version [6]:

22 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it; this is my body.”

23 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, and they all drank from it.

24 “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them.
 
Why should it matter whether the transubstantiation of bread and wine into the Body and the Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ (the central and indispensable part of the Catholic Mass) takes place during the Tridentine Mass or the Novus Ordo Mass?

What harm will the Catholic Church suffer if both the Tridentine Mass and the Novus Ordo Mass are being offered under the same roof?  These words of Jesus from Mark 9:30 is repeated here to underscore this point: "for whoever is not against us is for us." [7]



No comments:

Post a Comment